November 22

Updates from Room 201

It was so nice to see all of you at conferences this week and be able to talk about your child.  This class is really special to me and I am so thankful that I can be your child’s teacher.

TWIN DAY

During this week, we earned our class reward, which they chose as twin day.  On Monday, students can dress up as twins, triplets, or quadruplets, with other classmates. If they want to be themselves they can do that too!

FIELD TRIP

Our class field trip to the Grand Rapids Art Museum is on Tuesday.  We will leave right at 9:00 and be back to school 1:30.  Please remember to send a lunch with your child that day, unless you chose a sack lunch on the field trip permission form.

THANKSGIVING

We do not have school on Wednesday, Nov. 27.  I hope you enjoy all of the things you are thankful for over the long weekend.

ACADEMICS (I should probably talk about that too!)

Writing:  We just finished videoing our persuasive speeches.  Those should be on the blog next week.

Reading:  We are finishing a Mystery Unit and now noticing similarities between fiction and mystery genres.  There is always a problem and crime.  There are main characters and crime solvers.  We also need to pay attention to details to solve the problem or clues to solve the crime.  Over all, the students have loved this unit.

Math:  We started a unit on Measurement this week.  Telling time to the nearest five minutes and one minute (on an analog clock) is coming up quickly.  I know almost everything is digital now, but if you have an analog clock and could practice together, that would be helpful.

SOCIAL STUDIES

We have enjoyed learning about natural resources.  If we don’t take care of them, many problems will occur.  Today they brought home a sequence of events from a book we read.  Ask your child to tell you about it.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Posted November 22, 2019 by Karman Houtstra in category Uncategorized