March 2

Updates from Room 201

The weeks are flying by!  We have 366 days this year and we are already heading into our 3rd month.  I hope you enjoyed your extra day yesterday with your loved ones!  Consider it a bonus!

Please have your child return their February reading log by next week Wednesday for them to get a free choice prize.  A new March reading log and a Book It calendar will be coming home on Monday.

We have an early release day next Friday, March 6 and I have something very special planned for our class.  If you don’t already know what it is, check your email from Friday morning. There is a little request in there for you. . .but remember it’s top secret.

I would like to show the movie, Because of Winn Dixie next week Thursday.  If you do not approve of your child watching this with the class, will you please email me?  If I don’t hear from you, I will know that I have permission.

Reading

Our class amazes me at how well they are participating in book clubs.  We have six different book clubs with four students in each group.  They are reading and discussing the same book.  Every day they get better and better at sharing, listening, and adding on to each others’ thoughts.

Math

The dreaded math test was today!  I will get those corrected and send them home at the beginning of next week.  Be assured, I have been taking grades all along, so this is only one grade of many.

We have now moved on to Polygons and Quadrilaterals.  This is a heavy vocabulary unit but it is also fun to work with shapes and describe them.  For some it’s a quest to name every characteristic.  Their drive and desire to learn always amazes me.

Social Studies

Our class historians have enjoyed going back in time to learn about artifacts and history.  Currently we are learning how and why the French first came to Michigan.  For a fun quiz, you can ask your child,

• How and why the French came to North America?
  • What did they do when they came to Michigan?

Conferences

Parent Teacher Conferences are on Monday, March 9 and Wednesday, March 11.  I look forward to our last conference together celebrating your child and what they have learned so far in 3rd grade.  Here is the link.  I think I have it working now.  If not, I will just screenshot it and email it to you! 🙂

I hope you had a great weekend!  I’m looking forward to another great week with your 3rd grade.  They are a complete blessing to me.

Posted March 2, 2020 by Karman Houtstra in category Uncategorized